Windows PC and laptop users have probably heard of DirectX, especially if their computer is used for gaming. Improper installation of DirectX can cause all kinds of problems with your computer components and applications, so it is important that you know how to reinstall DirectX if necessary.
What is DirectX?
DirectX is a combination of APIs designed by Microsoft to handle a host of different tasks primarily related to gaming and multimedia. An application programming interface (API) is a set of rules or procedures that allow computers or computer applications to communicate with each other.
Consoles like the PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch have the same hardware in all of their units, making it easier for developers to optimize their games because they only need to change the configurations to fit the specific console specifications. Computer games are more complex because of the infinite number of combinations you can get when it comes to graphics cards and processors.
DirectX allows the game to communicate directly with your computer’s hardware – the graphics card and processor – allowing the title to operate at its best given your computer’s specifications. This is one of the main reasons why Windows has such a decisive advantage over other operating systems when it comes to playing video games.
How to test your DirectX version
It should be noted that not all video cards are compatible with the latest version of DirectX, so the optimal version for your device may not be the latest. This is especially true for older cards. To test your DirectX version, follow these steps:
- Upload “Run” Window by clicking Win + R.
- Type “dxdiag” and press to enter.
- After a few seconds, the DirectX diagnostic tool should appear, and the DirectX version should be visible at the bottom of the “System Information”.
When to reinstall DirectX on your computer
DirectX is heavily involved in the management of 3D graphics, sound, video and even the functionality of surface games when it comes to certain software and games. However, if your DirectX installation is faulty, it may cause distorted sounds, corrupted graphics, or other serious issues while trying to run programs or games that require it, and make it appear as if you have corrupted hardware.
The worst case scenario would be that the app encounters a fatal error and does not run at all. In such cases, your best bet in fixing the problem would be to reinstall DirectX, which should add all the missing components and repair the broken components.
Method 1: Windows Update
Modern iterations of Windows already include DirectX installed as part of the operating system, and it is regularly updated along with your other system components. The first place you should look for when trying to fix your incorrect DirectX installation will be your system updates. It can only be a pending update that causes all the issues.
- Click the “Start” button and go to “Settings”.
- Select “Update and Security”.
- Select “Check for Updates,” and Windows will start checking for available updates. If there are any available that for some reason have not been installed automatically, your operating system will find them and make sure you have the latest Windows updates. When it’s done, you’ll probably be prompted to restart your computer.
Method 2: DirectX-User Runtime Web Installer
While more modern versions of Windows come with a pre-installed version of DirectX, you can still download an installation file manually and run it instead. This is especially useful if your Windows updates are stopped for any reason or if the installation of DirectX causes errors.
- Download “DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer” from Microsoft website. Once you have downloaded the installer, run it to begin the reinstallation process.
- Select the “I accept the agreement” radio button and click “Next” Button to continue.
- The next page will give you the option to install Bing Bar, a toolbar that works with Microsoft Internet Explorer. The “Install Bing Bar” checkbox is selected by default, so you may want to uncheck it if you do not want it. When you are done, click “Next” continue.
- The installation wizard will check your DirectX version and determine all the components you need to install. When done, click “Next” Button to start installation.
- After completing the installation, click “Finish” Button and restart the computer. DirectX should be updated to the latest version.
Note: If your PC or laptop already has the latest version of Direct X installed, you will encounter a screen explaining this. If this happens, just click “Finish” To exit the wizard.
Method 3: Checks system files
The latter method uses the Windows System File Checker (SFC) tool which scans your computer for any corrupted or corrupted files and tries to repair them using a cached copy located in the Windows folder. This includes installing your DirectX.
- Launch the Windows PowerShell application with administrator privileges.
sfc /scannowAnd hit b to enter key.
- The tool starts scanning your device. The length of time it takes to complete largely depends on the specifications of your device and the size of your hard disk.
- When the scan is complete, the tool will automatically repair any corrupted or corrupted files it finds, leaving you to restart your computer. If no corrupted or corrupted files are found, you will get a message explaining this.
Given that there is no safe and simple way to completely uninstall DirectX on computers with newer versions of Windows, the above methods are the best way to reinstall DirectX on your PC or laptop to fix all the problems caused by poor installation. But if the games Yours will still not work after a successful reinstall of DirectX, you will want to make sure you are not dealing with a faulty graphics card.
1. What is the DirectX diagnostic tool?
This is a built-in Windows tool that shows you all the DirectX-related drivers and components currently available on your computer. This is a good tool for checking important computer specifications, including Windows version, CPU, memory, graphics card, audio device and DirectX version.
2. HHow does DirectX improve video game performance?
Because video game consoles have the same specifications for all their units, it is easier to optimize the graphics and audio settings on all machines. PCs and laptops, on the other hand, support a variety of different models of graphics cards and other parts, so it would be painful if a game had to be optimized separately for each component. This is what makes DirectX so important.
For the Windows version of PC games, developers design their games according to the behavior of the DirectX API. Tapping the DirectX API allows the game to directly access the graphics card and sound card of a computer or laptop, and create a smoother, customized experience based on your device specifications.
To promote your gaming experience, find out what the best live streaming platform is: Facebook Gaming vs. Twitch vs. YouTube Gaming. Also, test your knowledge using this glossary of game terms.
Is this article useful?