- To run a JAR file on your Windows 10 device, you will definitely need to install Jave.
- Below you will find a path to the latest Java version in case you need it.
- Then, you can find JAR file openers or promotions, and we recommend a few.
- Using the command prompt is also a useful solution if you do not want to install third-party tools.
XInstall by clicking Download the file
In case of ignorance, a JAR file is a Java archive package format that may include a Java program.
While you can extract JARs with archiving software, you can not run a pure Java JAR application as you would with other programs in Windows.
Since this is the case, we will review how you can run a pure Java application JAR file in Windows.
How do JAR files help you?
A JAR file allows Java runtimes to include an entire application, along with its departments and resources, in a single source.
Furthermore, the components can be compressed within a JAR file, which translates into shorter download times but also less space allocated on your drive.
In a nutshell, JARs are more sophisticated archives that work in the Java environment on your PC.
How do I run a JAR file in Windows 10?
1. Add Java to Windows
- Type cmd In the windows to look for Tab and press command line application.
- Then, enter the following command and click to enter Turn it on:
- The current version of Java is Version 8 Update 311.
- If you do not have Java or the latest version, you can download it for free. Once you have received the file, click install button.
- Run through the Java installation wizard and close the window after the installation process.
- Then open your browser to make sure the program is running.
The important thing you need in advance is to install Java. Without it, Java applications will not run on Windows.
Use Java (TM) Platform SE Binary
- Tap Windows + Key God Begin Explore files And the folder that contains the file you need to run.
- You must right-click on the JAR file and select Open with From the context menu and then select Choose another app.
- S Select to open it Java (TM) Platform SE Binary.
- Press on Always use this app to open JAR files Check box and then tap Okay Button to close the menu.
- You can now run the selected JAR, and all other JAR files will also be associated with Java.
4. Run a JAR file from the Windows command prompt
- input cmd In the to look for Tab and then select Run as an administrator run command line With full privileges.
- Then enter the following command (Replace Path file From the example with the real path of the file you need to run) and click to enter:
java -jar c:pathtojarfile.jar
It will open the JAR executable file as long as it is containing Manifest file to indicate the point of entry of the application (the developers should have already included this in the archive.)
If you are developing your own Java programs, you will need to convert the JAR to an executable format.
The Command Prompt app is essential for debugging and installing applications, but if it does not work, learn how to fix the command prompt in Windows.
5. Add a third-party JAR manager to Windows
- Visit the JARX website And press Jarx-1.2-installer.exe File to download it.
- Download and click on the file to start the installation, then select the file closed Button when it’s done.
- You can now simply double-click any JAR file to run it as a regular executable file.
There are also executor programs for Windows like JARX that allow you to run JAR files like any other program.
How to get a JAR file for your favorite app?
There are lots of sites that offer free JAR versions of any app that comes to mind and we are going to provide a simple example for Instagram.
- Go to a site that offers downloads of JAR files like Download JAR. Proceed carefully as not all such websites offer clean content so you should double check it with antivirus and scan the files upon arrival before using them.
- Click on the Java version of the application you are looking for. In our case, Instagram Java.
- Now click on taken down By using our guide above, you already know how to open the JAR and use the content.
If you are having problems or you get an error, learn what to do if you are unable to access JarFile in Windows 10.
We hope our guide has helped you with all the information you need to run JAR files in Windows or even convert them if necessary.
For any other issue, we also have another guide to help you if JAR files do not open in Windows 10.
If you have any suggestions or other questions, leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to take a look.
Start a conversation