- HEIC is a proprietary file format used to store image files, but in this tutorial you will learn how to open a HEIC file.
- The format was first invented for Apple phones but has since expanded to other areas as well.
- Adobe solution along with other image viewers are perfectly capable of opening and even editing HEIC files.
- Another method how to open HEIC files in Windows is another useful tool.
HEIC, otherwise HEIF (High efficiency image format), Is a new image file format adopted by Apple when it released the iOS 11 platforms in 2017. Apple has introduced this new format to replace JPEG in its phones.
Windows has not yet fully adopted Apple’s new image format, so its original applications do not fully support HEIC by default.
However, you can still open HEIC images within Windows with additional software. This way you can open HEIC files in Windows without converting them to alternative formats.
How do I open HEIC files on a Windows computer?
- Use Adobe Lightroom
- Add HEIC image extensions to Windows
- Check CopyTrans HEIC for Windows
- Preview HEIC images in Dropbox
- Open HEIC images with dedicated software
- Open HEIC images with Apowersoft Photo Viewer
1. Use Adobe Lightroom
- Download Adobe Lightroom for free (You must register an Adobe account).
- Install it on your PC.
- to press start And go to Definitions.
- Select Applications And go to Default apps menu
- under Displays images, Select Adobe Lightroom As the default program.
- Try opening a HEIC file now.
Because HEIC files are so proprietary, it goes without saying that common users will not be able to open them unless they meet certain requirements.
As such, the fastest way you can access HEIC files is to simply get an image viewer that supports the format.
One such image viewer is Adobe Lightroom, which has been supporting HEIC image files since August 2018 with Lightroom CC 1.5 and Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 versions.
All you need to do is simply set up Adobe Lightroom as your PC’s default image viewer, and you’re ready to go.
Now that you have installed Adobe Lightroom, not only will you get an image viewer that can handle HEIC files, but you will also have one of the best image editors in the world.
2. Add HEIC image extensions to Windows
If you really need to open HEIC images with the default Win 10 image app, check out the HEIC image extensions. It installs the codecs needed to open the new image format in the images.
Press on Get Button in the app Microsoft Store page To download and install image extensions. If you were able to install the add-ons, you will see a message that This product is installed.
Since HEIC uses the HEVC codec, then you also need to install HEVC video extensions. This app, however, is not free but it costs less than a dollar.
Check the CopyTrans HEIC for Windows
CopyTrans HEIC is a Windows plugin that allows you to open HEIC images in Windows 10.
When this software is installed, you can open HEIC images with the original Windows image viewer by double-clicking them in File Explorer.
Furthermore, the software extends format support to MS Office applications so that you can insert HEIC images in Word and Excel documents or in PowerPoint presentations.
All you really need to do is install CopyTrans HEIC. Press on taken down Button on CopyTrans HEIC Web Page To save the software installation wizard.
Then open the installer to add the software to Windows, and hello, you can open HEIC files within the original applications of the platform!
4. Preview HEIC images in Dropbox
You do not necessarily have to open HEICs with viewers in photos. Dropbox is one of the cloud storage services that support Apple’s new file format.
So Dropbox users can upload HEIC images from Apple iOS 11 devices and preview them in their Windows browsers.
After uploading the file to Dropbox, select the image and click on its eye icon to preview it.
5. Open HEIC images with dedicated software
The fastest method is to install software that will open all file formats.
There are some great options available that support hundreds of file formats. Moreover, many file openers also include file conversion tools.
6. Open HEIC images with Apowersoft Photo Viewer
Apowersoft Photo Viewer is a third-party image viewer that supports the HEIC file format. The software is compatible with Windows 10.
You can install it by clicking on Download the desktop version Button on the software site.
After installing the software with its installation wizard, click … button At the top of the Apowersoft Photo Viewer window; And select open option. You can then select a HEIC image to open in the software.
So this way you can add HEIC support to Windows or open the files with an alternative third-party software.
You can now transfer HEIC images from your Apple devices directly to Windows without the need for file converter software.
We hope you find the best way to open your HEIC files in Windows 10. If you happen to be familiar with additional methods, let us know in the comments section below.
Start a conversation