Today, cloud computing has become one of the best ways to deliver the ideal solution for your business. But do you want to know why and how cloud computing was developed? In this article, we do the same to get some highlights on the history of cloud computing.
The concept of cloud computing emerged in the early 1960s. And from then on, a culture of remote work began to form. Companies like IBM and DEC have taken early steps in cloud computing. And some other companies are starting to offer VPN services without charging much.
The vast availability of VPNs makes connecting to the network relatively easy. And finally, in 1994, the cloud metaphor came into play to provide virtual services.
Cloud Computing History
Cloud computing was invented or introduced in the early 1960s. And the technology was developed by JCR Licklider, also known as Joseph Carl Robnett Licklider. He was an American psychologist and computer scientist by profession. He was then given the ARPANet project to connect people around the world. JCR Licklider was born March 11, 1915 in St. Louis, and received his bachelor’s degree in 1937. For further studies, he also completed his master’s and doctoral degrees in psychology. degree too.
His interest in information technology and several achievements during his lifetime led him to be hired in 1962 as ARPA’s IPTO Director. ARPA is the US Department of Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency to which he was appointed. From the inception of cloud computing to the present, the importance of cloud computing technology must continue to increase.
In 2006 Amazon also created AWS or Amazon Web Services and claimed to be EC2. It was an important time for many companies to provide reliable cloud computing solutions. And the number of these companies is growing over time. Google also released a beta version of its search engine in 2008, and in early 2008 Microsoft announced Microsoft Azure for testing phase, deployment and management applications.
Google also introduced Google Cloud in 2012, but finally opened it to the general public in 2013. Within a few seconds, Oracle Cloud was launched in three parts: IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. There are currently hundreds of cloud computing platforms available to the ideal user. However, records show that Microsoft Azure is the most used cloud computing platform by market share.
Why Cloud Computing Was Developed
But why was cloud computing platform developed and become a requirement of the present age? DARPA has awarded $2 million to develop technology that allows computers to be used continuously by multiple users. In those days, large computers were used for various purposes.
And with the help of this product, JCR Licklider was able to develop a platform where three users could use the same computer. And to extend the same work, ARPANet was created in 1969 to allow more people to use the same device. And in 1970 the term virtualization was introduced, and by 1990 sharing multiple files became common.
So, the reason we developed cloud computing is to allow many people to use the same device for a variety of reasons.
Benefits of Cloud Computing
There are several benefits of cloud computing, which we will discuss here. However, you should know that cloud computing services have become popular in recent years. This is because concerns about data security have increased due to hacking and malware issues. And businesses are looking to cloud-based systems for a more secure option.
Companies such as Facebook, Instagram and other similar companies have hosted customer data on cloud-based platforms. Here are some of the benefits of cloud computing to help you understand why cloud-based solutions are a security option:
- Cloud-based servers are cost-effective and easy to handle, even for small businesses. The ability to process cloud-based servers reduces the time it takes to interpret big data. And businesses don’t even need to install large hardware servers for data warehousing.
- It also provides a high level of cybersecurity for your company’s data and files. As remote access becomes a major concern for businesses, an encrypted, virtualized warehousing option can help prevent hacking issues. In short, the beauty of cloud computing is that platforms like cloud storage come with end-to-end encryption. This allows businesses to avoid hacking problems, and users can also ensure the security of their data.
- Hosting in a cloud-based system is more flexible than a physical warehouse device. This is because the physical hardware components are difficult to deal with when migrating data. However, cloud-based data storage systems ensure easy-to-handle and simple data migration steps.
- These technologies have higher mobility and efficient connections with users. Users can access their data anytime, anywhere using a cloud-based system.
- Updating a cloud-based platform is also much more accessible than traditional options. No manual function is required to update these technologies. However, early businesses spent a lot of money on physical updates of their devices.
- Virtualized solutions also control data loss prevention. This makes it easy to retrieve lost data from businesses to end users. However, if the data is stored on a physical device. Then there is no guarantee that most of the data will be retrieved. Therefore, it is recommended to dump all data to a cloud storage device. So companies can regain access to the same data whenever they need it.
So, in this article, we will learn about the history of cloud computing. Here we discover some information about the origins of cloud computing and the solutions the company provides to the world. We also learned why cloud computing was developed with key benefits.
So, now you are well informed about the history of cloud computing with the latest solutions. Also, keep an eye out for other articles for the simplest understanding of technical terms.