Earlier, if you wanted to delete one photo from a carousel post on Instagram, you had to re-upload the entire post. Fortunately, you no longer have to do this, as Instagram has introduced an original feature for deleting one photo from multiple Instagram photos. This article will look at how to do this as well as how to remove photos without deleting them on Instagram.
How to delete one photo from a carousel post on Instagram
To remove an unwanted photo from an Instagram post with multiple photos, follow these steps:
- Open the multiple photo post or carousel that includes the unwanted photo.
- Tap the three-dot icon at the top and select “Edit” from the menu. Do not tap on the “Delete” option, as this will delete the entire post.
- Scroll around the image shown and find the trash can icon in the top corner. If you find it, you have the feature.
- Navigate to the image you want to delete and tap the trash can icon. The “Delete Media” confirmation window will appear. Tap “Delete”.
- The deleted image will be moved to the “Recently Deleted” folder where it will remain for 30 days before being permanently deleted. For the next 30 days, you can restore the image (as shown below) and send it back to the carousel or delete it permanently.
- Similarly, delete other images from the carousel.
- Tap the “Done” button to save the changes.
Note: This feature is now available in Instagram’s iOS app only with Android support coming soon.
How to edit photos in a post carousel
Besides deleting photos, you can tag people, edit alternate text and add placements to individual photos. However, it is not possible to add filters or change the position of the images in the carousel after they are published.
- Tap the three-dot icon in the post and select “Edit” from the menu.
- In the image you want to edit, tap the option you want to edit: “Tag people”, “Edit alternate text” or “Add location”. You can also change the caption of the entire post.
How to delete one photo from Instagram stories
Instagram stories make it easy to delete a single photo. Because each story operates as an independent entity, you can remove any of them by adding multiple images or videos together.
Open the story you want to delete. Tap the three-dot icon and select “Delete” from the menu.
Similar to the post, the deleted story will be moved to the “Recently Deleted” photo section. However, since the lifespan of stories is only 24 hours, you can only recover them within this time frame. After that, the story will be permanently deleted.
How to recover deleted photos from posts and stories
In case you accidentally deleted an incorrect photo / video or deleted the entire post, you can easily recover it. Follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app and go to the profile screen.
- Tap the three-bar icon at the top and select “Settings”.
- Go to “Account → Recently Deleted.”
- All the recently deleted photos can be found here. Open the one you want to restore.
- Click on the three-dot icon and select “Restore”.
The deleted image will appear in its original position.
How to remove photos without deleting them from Instagram
If you do not have the feature to delete a photo from multiple posts or want to hide photos without deleting them, Instagram allows you to archive the post. Note that the entire post can be archived rather than individual images. For those unaware, posting to a post’s archive will hide it from the profile view.
To archive a post, follow these steps:
- Open the post you want to archive.
- Tap the three-dot icon at the top and select “Archive” from the options.
The post will be moved to the “Archive” section and you will not find it in your profile.
To remove a post from the archive:
- Go to the profile screen and tap the three-stripe icon. Select “Archive”.
- Tap the “Story Archive” option at the top and select “Post Archive.” You will see the posts in the archive.
- Open the post you want to send back to your profile by tapping the three-dot icon and selecting “View Profile”.
Read on to learn how to add links to Instagram stories Learn what different icons mean in Instagram posts.
Is this article useful?